Why You Should Sell Online In Kenya
Ecommerce in Kenya has come a long way, and most Kenyans have now embraced it. In this new age and era, most businesses are now run online and may never need a physical store.
The online space has provided a great opportunity for business owners, both beginners and the more experienced, to market their products online.
Businesses can now easily get customers online without traditional advertising and marketing, which is quite costly. The internet has completely changed the way people shop for products, with studies showing that 63% of purchases start from the internet.
When a person in Kenya wants to purchase something, say a washing machine, they are most likely to start their research online, looking for what would suit their needs and budget.
They would then look for the various options available through an online search and social media. This customer will not need to visit a local store before making a purchase decision.This means that you get more sales if you sell your products online.
This guide will help you learn how to sell online in Kenya.
1. Start by Calculating the Costs Involved
You will incur various costs when you want to sell online in Kenya. Therefore, it is of paramount importance to assess if you will make good profits after considering all the costs involved.
We will look at some of the major costs before you start selling online in Kenya.
Product Sourcing Cost
Sourcing for products involves money. This is the process of finding products to sell. It requires you to find reputable suppliers to buy quality products from and at a good price. It includes researching, price and cost calculations, and negotiating with suppliers.
Many customers will decide not to purchase from you due to the delivery costs involved.
Therefore, before selling online, you must first calculate the delivery costs, how much courier services will charge, and which unexpected delivery charges might occur.
Various destinations will cost different amounts depending on the distance and the terrain.
Packaging costs will be incurred in the package structure, design, material, and quantity you will need. You may need to hire a design professional experienced in retail package design and product launch.
This will cost you money, so it is important to decide if you need one and how much you are willing to spend on this. Remember that proper packaging will create a great first impression which is key to attracting and keeping customers.
When running an online business, you will incur transaction costs every time you make any transactions. Transaction costs are expenses incurred when buying or selling a good or service. They include the labour required to bring a good or service to market and facilitate exchanges. The transaction cost will determine your profits. If the transaction cost is too high, you will make losses, so be keen.
As an online business owner, you will incur storage costs when storing or holding your inventory.When choosing a storage company, check to ensure that they handle your type of goods. Some storage companies will handle raw materials, finished products, or equipment parts. The cost of storing your inventory will depend on your type of goods.
Marketing costs are all the expenses your business will make to market and sell its products, including developing and promoting its brand. Your marketing costs or budget will be determined by factors like the cost of advertising, revenue per customer, percentage of your total revenue, and what you are actually able to afford.
2. Find Out If It’s Profitable To Sell Online
Now that you have a fair idea of the different costs involved in selling online, you can do quick math to find out the profitability of your venture. Here is a simple formula:
Profit Margin= Selling price – (Sourcing Cost + Packing & Delivery Fee + Transaction Fees + Marketing Cost + Variable Costs)
If your profit margin is positive, you are good to go ahead and start selling online. If it’s very low or negative, you should think about minimizing the costs.
3. Create a Catalogue of Your Products
A product catalogue is a useful marketing and sales asset that organizes all your product information in one place.
You need a product catalog to help you categorize products in an easy-to-understand manner to help the reader source information easily or make buying decisions based on that information.
It helps buyers in decision-making and shortens their journey while improving the user experience.
So, what goes into a product catalog?
You will want to offer full details of your product pool in your product catalog; therefore, include the following details about each of your products:
- Short description
- Dimensions such as the size
- Care instructions
- Safety precautions
- Customer credentials (such as reviews)
- Price including any discount
- Call to action such as ‘buy now, or ‘book a demo call.’
Digital catalogs are cheaper to make, and they make distribution easier. A digital catalog should include a front cover, table of contents, introduction, primary content pages, closing thoughts, and cover.
Your catalog should showcase effective branding, cohesive design, professional photography, storytelling or messaging, pricing, and CTAs.
4. Be Discoverable Online
Online visibility is an essential part of selling online. No one will buy from you if they don’t know that you exist. Grabbing the attention of the right customers and clients is one of the key factors to a successful online business.
So how do you get discoverable online?
- One of the best and quickest ways to get discoverable online is to get active on social media.
A large percentage of individuals discover brands via social media.They also seek a recommendation for companies and products online, so it’s important to have a strong presence across all the relevant social media platforms.
However, you don’t need to sign up for all the platforms – choose only those that can help you reach the right kind of audience.
Choose visual channels like Instagram and Facebook if your products are more visual. If you offer a mix of products and services, choose something more text-heavy to help you create more information.
- Another way for your business to get discoverable online is to have an attractive website.
It should be intuitive, legible, and easy to navigate. Ensure that your website shares all the necessary information in a concise, easy-to-digest manner and avoid wordy chunks of text.
Ensure that it is user-friendly and can be used properly on smartphones, computers, and tablets. Keep it updated at all times and upload new content regularly.
- Practice intent SEO to boost your brand to the top of the search engine results.
You can do this by using free online keyword research tools to find the words and phrases most commonly entered into search engines by users looking for products and services like yours.
The more specific and relevant the keywords are, the more likely you will attract visitors who will make a purchase.
Include the most popular keywords in your content to help your website appear higher when those terms are searched.
Be sure to repeat the keyword research process regularly to keep your content updated.
- Another best way to make your business discoverable online is using Google My Business.
Create an account and edit what the public sees on your search engine listing. Include your location, contact details, images, descriptions, events, and star ratings on your Google My Business account.
You can reach out to past customers and ask them to leave a positive review on your site.
Studies have shown that 88% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations.
5. Products to Sell Online In Kenya
The e-commerce sector in Kenya is growing fast with no signs of slowing down.
The best thing you can do now is select a niche for yourself and focus on it, and you will reap big.
The products you choose to sell online will determine your success in the online space. You can sell digital products or physical products.
A digital product is an intangible asset or piece of media that can be sold and distributed repeatedly online without replenishing inventory.
Selling digital products is uniquely attractive to entrepreneurs because of its low-cost overhead costs, high-profit margins, the potential to automate, and the flexibility of the products.
However, you should be aware that you will be competing with free content readily available on the internet. Therefore it is important to make your products unique and of high quality. Some of the digital products that you can sell include:
- Online courses
- Web-based applications
- Educational downloads
Educational downloads are digital products that teach your audience something valuable or give them information. It’s advisable to sell educational content covering a topic that you’re knowledgeable about, So, if there’s something you’re good at, why not create and sell an eBook?
Besides, eBooks are easily consumable and a great way to bring in leads.
For example, you can distribute the eBook for free in exchange for website visitors’ emails. Plus, eBooks are great for building credibility.
Some of the most profitable physical products that you can sell include:
Many people have become quite conscious about their appearance, especially due to the pressure presented by celebrities. They project a perfect shape when on the red carpet, and many people, especially women, want to emulate them.
This has led to the high demand for shapewear in Kenya. Starting an online business to sell shapewear can bring good returns.
- Phone accessories
The mobile phone industry is booming, and these phones do require their accessories. Mobile phone accessories move fast, and selling them could be profitable.
You can sell phone accessories on your website, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Phone accessories may include earphones, batteries, covers, sim cards, Phone cases, repair kits, grips, screen protectors, chargers, and earphones.
- Workout outfit
Kenyans are now more conscious about their health than ever before.
Many people visit gyms for workouts and do other activities that help them exercise and keep fit.
- Mobile phones
The Mobile phone industry in Kenya has grown and continues to grow into a huge market. New mobile phones are being launched every year, and Kenyans are always moving with the latest trends.
Selling well-known brands is the best way to bring a good return on investment. Ensure also that the gadgets that you sell are original.
- Hair products
The modern woman is very keen on her looks and will go to any length to enhance them. The current beauty and fashion trends mostly influence this.
The current hair trends are human hair, wigs, and natural hair. If you are looking for what to sell online in Kenya, this is one area that will help you reap big. Stock high-quality items such as hair extensions, accessories, and hair care products.
- Home Décor
Many rising middle-class Kenyans are very willing to spend on their houses to make them look the part and be comfortable.
By starting a business to offer home décor products, you will be helping them to transform their spaces while earning well from it. Provide high-quality but affordable furniture, decorative pieces, or utensils.
6. Sourcing Products to Sell Online In Kenya
Sourcing is finding the right supplier, who can either be a manufacturer, importer, or distributor. Sourcing is all about getting the right pricing and delivery conditions.
Finding the right supplier will ensure that you get the right products conveniently at the right time. A good supplier is both reliable and affordable. Your preferred wholesaler should be able to provide all the goods you are selling, or at least most of them.
When sourcing for products, you should have a process in place to optimize the balance between the effort in finding the right sources and negotiating a lower price and the pricing itself.
Typically for larger purchases, it makes sense to do a broad search and, especially when it comes to searches abroad, hire somebody to do the sourcing for you.
Before ordering complex products or large quantities, make sure that you check your source. If you don’t go there yourself, send somebody trusted, preferably who understands the local language and knows the local situation.
You can source products from either local wholesalers or international wholesalers.
A good local wholesaler should be able to supply the products that you need, has prices that you can afford, and serves your geographic region. They should also be reliable, trustworthy, and easy to work with. If you are selling branded items, try the manufacturer first, who may sell depending on their minimum order requirements. Otherwise, use their established distribution channels. To find a good local wholesaler, look at how long they have been in business, reviews, and reputation, and double-check their minimum order quantity.
The most popular local wholesalers include
- Mega Wholesalers Limited:Mega Wholesalers Ltd is a major distributor of consumers goods headquartered in Eastleigh, Nairobi. The company was incorporated in 2001 and has since become a household name in many country regions and is a major distributor and seller of all consumer goods.
- Mahitaji Enterprises Limited:Mahitaji Enterprises Limited sells a variety of products at affordable prices and serves a wide range of customers. The products include; Home use products and foodstuffs. They also offer free deliveries to their customers.
- Alpha Fine Foods Limited:Alpha Fine Foods Limited’s range of products includes premium Kenyan Highland Lamb and Beef, Poultry, Norwegian/Scottish smoked and fresh Salmon, a wide range of marine and lake products, frozen breaded products, etc
- PetStore Kenya:PetStore Kenya is the right wholesaler to check out for those who wish to trade with pets. PetStore Kenya was born to solve a common problem in pet-friendly households in Kenya. They love our cats and dogs, but buying cat food and dog food can be arduous. They help make this process easy and seamless.
- Vine Fresh (East Africa) Limited:Vine Fresh (East Africa) Ltd is Kenya’s leading importer, exporter, and distributor of fresh fruits & vegetables based in Nairobi. They supply all major supermarkets, hotels, restaurants, cafeterias, supermarkets, and groceries all over Kenya. They have partnered with various traders based in Uganda, Tanzania & South Sudan to distribute most products from Kenya, thus enhancing regional growth and distribution.
Sourcing from international suppliers refers to buying materials, products, or services from manufacturers or suppliers outside of your home country. While domestic sourcing typically allows for quicker logistics, better production control, and a shorter time to market, sourcing overseas is generally considered cheaper. Cost savings are one of the main advantages of global sourcing. Many foreign suppliers and manufacturers offer their services at a competitive price, especially in low-cost regions.
Manufacturing costs are generally lower, and businesses can often buy goods at a lower unit price. This can be a great way to maximize the bottom line for businesses with tight budgets. However, keep in mind that other factors can affect any potential cost-savings, such as costly international administration or communication, transport costs, or duty rates.
One major international supplier that you can use is Alibaba. Alibaba has the largest collection of manufacturers and suppliers globally, which is why the vast majority of sellers use them to source their products. It is one of the world’s largest retailers and e-commerce companies and has millions of products.
To start sourcing from Alibaba, you will need to create an account and include all required details. Search and find the products you want to order from the search icon. You can filter your search by supplier type, product type, minimum order quantity, or supplier region. Compare sellers to choose the most suitable for your needs, negotiate the deals then place your order once you are satisfied.
7. Storage Options for Your Online Stock
Selling online means you do not have a physical store; therefore, you need to know the different options for storing your inventory. Before you decide on where to store your goods, you want to ensure that you have strong inventory management in place.
This will help you know how many goods are in stock, ordering information, etc. An inventory management software will enable you to input data into your computer concerning all your products. You will be able to automatically update your inventory, keep track of your minimum and maximum stock numbers, and know how long it takes to restock.
With drop shipping, you do not actually have any inventory in stock. Instead, your suppliers retain control of the inventory, and when you sell an item, the supplier ships the item directly to your customer. This can save you money over time since you do not have to buy any items upfront, nor do you need to store them.
However, you must have a very organized and sophisticated system for your inventory with this option. Since you do not retain control, you must constantly communicate with your suppliers and their current inventory so that you do not sell something to a customer that is no longer in stock by the supplier.
- Shelf Space rentals
The firm that runs Rent-A-Shelf shops identifies a shop in a prime location in an urban centre and partitions it into shelves. It then hires shop attendants and gets all the necessary licenses for the shop. After that, it opens it and invites online businesses to rent a shelf without necessarily owning the whole shop. With the shelf space rentals, you rent a small space where you can display your goods physically. Some customers want to see the physical goods before ordering or making a purchase. These shelves give you a chance to display or showcase your products without incurring the high costs of renting an office, which could be very costly. Some of the shelf space rentals include Notify logistics and Bodacorp.
The shelf space rentals are cheap, and you do not need to hire a shop attendant to be present. They have qualified staff who handle all that for you. The good thing about the shelf space rentals is that you can partner with delivery guys who will deliver your goods to the customers.
Another option for the inventory for any online store is to store your inventory in a warehouse. This is a good option for those with large volumes of goods or big products like furniture or machines.
You lease space, store your items, and then ship them out to your customers upon purchase. You and your staff will have to organize the inventory to make it easy to find and keep organized. You can set up a barcode system to help you keep track of all inventories.
Depending on the size of the store you are running, the warehouse system will be more efficient than drop shipping. If you sell large amounts of items, having complete control of the process will make everything run more smoothly. Small companies can also use warehouses to store their items, but you have to see if the cost of storage and pre-purchasing stock benefits your company.
8. Where to Sell Online In Kenya
Now that you are ready to sell online, it’s time for a big decision. Should you sell on online eCommerce marketplaces like Jumia or Skygarden, or should you set up your own web store? When it comes to selling online in Kenya, you are spoilt for choice. There are numerous options available that have given the physical stores a run for their money.
Selling on Marketplaces
Selling on marketplaces is straightforward for selling your online goods. There are numerous marketplaces in Kenya that you can join and start selling.
Each marketplace is unique, and you need to learn how to go about it to sell successfully. It is good to choose niche-based marketplaces instead of generalized ones.
For example, if you sell cars, list your cars on the marketplaces that sell cars exclusively, like cheki.com. This way, you will find more success and will sell more.
Some of the marketplaces you can join include:
- Jumia Online Shop
- Sky Garden
The advantages of joining a marketplace will vary between industries and businesses and between buyers and sellers. Some of the advantages are summarized below.
General business benefits
- There are greater opportunities for suppliers and buyers to establish new trading partnerships.
- Marketplaces can provide greater transparency in the purchasing process since availability, prices, and stock levels are all accessible in an open environment.
- Time constraints and problems with different office hours, as in the case of physical businesses, are removed as it is possible to operate on a round-the-clock basis.
Benefits for the buyer
- Updated information on price and availability makes it easier to secure the best deal.
- Marketplaces offer a convenient way to compare prices and products from a single source rather than spending time contacting each individual supplier.
- Established marketplaces provide a level of trust for the buyer as they deal exclusively with members’ suppliers.
Benefits for the seller
- Regular requests for quotations from both new and current customers are possible.
- A keyword search on a marketplace site displays your goods and services in a list with other brands and distributors.
- It provides an additional sales channel to market and sells products.
- A keyword search on a marketplace site displays your goods and services in a list with other brands and distributors.
- Marketplaces can offer reduced marketing costs when compared with other sales channels.
- The use of international e-marketplaces can provide opportunities for overseas sales that you would not otherwise be aware of.
Although there are major advantages of selling on marketplaces, there are also drawbacks that may need to be considered.
- Marketplaces can charge a commission on every sale, and fees can vary from site to site. Before selling your products on a marketplace, understand the marketplace’s pricing structure. Each marketplace charges different fees, so ensure that you familiarize yourself with them to avoid disappointments.
- The online stores may impose restrictive terms and conditions regarding how you can communicate to customers. You’ll have to meet a series of standards when advertising your products in terms of text and images. This includes dealing with sales fees, which could be very high and reduce your profit margin.
- There may be marketplace limitations on how your business can brand its online presence. Since they trust the marketplace, a high percentage of users don’t realize what company they’re buying the product from.
Selling on Your Own Web store
A website is a great investment that any business can make. When you build your own website, you get a lot of flexibility. You can list a wide array of products, provide invaluable information through useful content and use different channels for marketing the products.
You can personalize the shopping experience and make it special for each customer by having a branded website. Having your own website allows you to use specific keyword-based landing pages.
These help you better target your customers and show them more products and services that are precisely what they are looking for.
- Increased discoverability An optimized web store that allows you to be properly indexed in search engines helps potential buyers find your products online. It also gives you control over where your customers land once they click on the search result.
- New product promotion A web store isn’t just a place to sell your products. Having your own web store also means you can announce and promote new products to your audience.
- Personalized packaging Having full control of the brand experience on your website means that you also have the final say in how your brand will be expressed through your packaging and delivery. You can deliver your products in branded boxes and envelopes, for instance, including personalized promotions or discounts.
- Website costs– planning, designing, creating, hosting, securing, and maintaining a professional e-commerce website isn’t cheap, especially if you expect large and growing sales volumes.
- Security and fraud– the growth of the online retail market have attracted the attention of sophisticated criminal elements. The reputation of your business could be fatally damaged if you don’t invest in the latest security systems to protect your website and transaction processes.
- Legal issues– getting to grips with e-commerce and the law can be a challenge, and you’ll need to be aware of, and plan to cope with, the additional customer rights which are attached to online sales.
- Advertising costs– while online marketing can be an efficient way of getting the right customers to your products, it demands a generous budget. This is especially true if you compete in a crowded sector or for popular keywords.
- Customer trust– it can be difficult to establish a trusted brand name, especially without a physical business with a track record and face-to-face interaction between customers and sales staff. You need to consider the costs of setting up a good customer service system as part of your online offering.
- The site can crush: The worst disadvantage of a web store is when no one can buy from your store if your site crashes. That’s why it’s important to ensure your website is hosted on the right platform.
9. Market Your Products Online
Marketing is essential to every business, whether it is an online store or a physical store.
No marketing campaign is complete without social media. Sites like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are excellent free or inexpensive, depending on whether or not you opt for paid advertising. Facebook Ads are particularly effective when marketing your online products because of their popularity and wider reach.
Facebook’s market share for digital advertising is close to 20%, making it one of the single largest options for advertising, behind only Google.
Advertising on Facebook has numerous benefits, but it’s important to understand what Facebook offers businesses and how its paid ad network is built to offer many advertising options before you can see how it might help you reach new audiences. Using Facebook Ads is affordable, effective, and fast.
To advertise on Facebook, follow these five steps:
- Choose a goal: The goal of your ad can include something like “To get more messages”, “To get more website visitors”, “To sell more products”, “To get more customer contacts”, etc.
- Add your creative: Your ad should contain visuals, text, and a call-to-action button. You can include an eye-catching photo or a must-watch video about your business or products. Your text should complement your image and help your customers take the action you desire.
- Define your audience: When creating a Facebook Ad, think about the type of people who are attracted to your products or services. Identify what they have in common and use that information to target them.
- Set your budget and audience: Decide your ad spend per day and how many days you want the ad to run. Your daily budget is the average amount you will spend on your ad each day.
- Decide where you want your ad to appear: You can decide if you want your ads to appear on Instagram as well as Facebook.
To succeed in Facebook Ads observe these tips:
- Create a narrow audience and a broad one to see how targeting each one affects your ad results. Adjust your results and try again as needed.
- Keep your ads simple to make them easy for your customers to understand.
- Try different creativity to determine what works best for your audience.
Launching a Google Adwords campaign is an effective way to drive traffic from the search engine through to your website. Google Ads lets businesses pay to highlight their website. Based on the keywords they bid for, the quality score, and other factors, websites can appear in various Google search results.
Google ads have high targeting capabilities, a massive reach, and you can harness intent. You have full control of your campaigns at all times and you can use any budget that you have. Google ads bring quicker results that SEO and help you earn more conversions.
To run Google ads, you will need to create an account by signing up. On the dashboard, choose Campaign and create the campaign that you wish to run, then follow instructions.
Promote Products In Jiji Or Pigiame
The marketplace is very competitive and to make your products stand out here, you will need to promote them. To succeed in the online space, you will need a solid strategy and compelling execution because even the best products won’t sell if nobody knows about them or it doesn’t get in front of the right people.
To promote your products on Pigiame, simply post your ad and expose it to thousands of potential buyers.
You can create a shop page and be featured in their business directory. They will combine PigiaMe’s robust technology and a dedicated team in order to provide you with the safest selling and buying experience. You can upgrade your ads for better visibility.
Jiji allows you to advertise your products in the marketplace. Their premium services will give you access to tools that will help you in promoting your products.
Jiji offers 2 types of Premium Packages that can help you to promote your ads, that is, Top and Boost Packages.
- With Top, your ad is placed at the top of the search results page for either 7 or 30 days, depending on the duration you have chosen. It means that your potential clients would be able to find your ad easier, so, as a result, you will get up to 15 times more customers.
- With Boost Packages, all your ads will appear in search results more often during 1, 3, 6, or 12 months; besides, your products will be constantly shown in the Similar Ads area. This way you can get up to 100 times more customers. We recommend using Boost Packages if you have more than 5 active ads.
10. Dealing with Online Customers
Online customer service is the bloodline of your online business. Great online customer service should focus on addressing the customers’ concerns promptly and exceeding expectations by using the right tools and processes.
These tips will help you when dealing with online customers:
- Consider outsourcing customer service – When it comes to customer service, people look forward to customer representatives with a genuine liking for people and patience beyond measure. If you are in charge of customer service for your small business, determine if you have these qualities. If not, make sure you hire someone who does!
- Acknowledge customer problems and find solutions– What customers really want is for your company to acknowledge their problems and find a solution for them. This means getting what they expected in the first place. Let customers know that you understand their problem and will work to find a viable solution
- Use communication tools for more efficiency like WhatsApp for Business, Live Chat, and Video Chat is the modern way to deliver excellent online customer service. You can showcase your products to your customers through direct video chat, allowing your customer to see instantly how a product is used, and adding an extra level of engagement in the transactions.
- Add self-service options to improve online support for the website- Self-service is a necessity to provide a positive customer experience. The most common types of customer self-service include FAQs, how-to videos, knowledge base, and online discussion forums.
- Stick to the point – When a customer enquires about a particular product or asks a particular question, make sure you answer it and do not divert from the main topic of discussion. Diverting from the customer’s concerns projects you as unintelligent and careless. Ensure that the customer gets exactly the kind of information they are seeking.
11. How to Pack Online Orders
An online transaction is complete only when the delivery arrives safely at the customer’s door.
No amount of website design, creative marketing, and friendly personnel will matter to your customer if that customer’s order shows up mangled and broken.
How you pack orders will impact your customers’ buying experience. Choose the material you use for packaging wisely to ensure that they are not easily torn or damaged.
For many online stores, it will be enough to simply place items in a single, good-quality corrugated box surrounded by filler. In fact, single-box packing is the most common approach for packing non-fragile e-commerce orders.
However, if you sell high-value or fragile items, you may want to double-box your shipments. Double boxing adds expense both in terms of actual weight and dimensional weight.
It will likely cost more to ship a double-boxed order. And it will certainly cost more in packing materials. But if it keeps the items safe and the customer happy, you should probably do it.
Use Branded Packaging to Make a Lasting Impression
Branded packaging is a point of difference in a competitive market. It is an effective way of differentiating your product in the increasingly populated online space.
It also reinforces your brand’s identity and tells its story. Delivering branded packaging is an extension of your brand from its digital channels, right through to the tangible experience the customer has when they receive the product.
Branded packaging can help with your online marketing strategy. If a customer has an enjoyable experience opening your parcel, they’re more likely to share videos and photos of it online and tag you in it. It creates a special customer experience.
Remember to insert a thank you note for customers to feel appreciated and want to buy more. This is a proven tactic for increasing order size, word of mouth, loyalty, and more.
You can use the design of a business card to become an insert if you want. Print a couple hundred of them as a template, then handwrite a custom code or codes as needed. The handwritten note tactic is becoming quite the trend.
12. How to Deliver Online Orders
The customers’ expectations when receiving products delivered to them from any online store are that the products are in perfect condition, they are delivered on time, and that you will keep informed of any delays and new delivery dates.
To fulfill customer satisfaction with your deliveries, ensure that you process orders at an item level where each individual item ordered is clearly identified. Ensure that you track the status of the order so that any customer query can be resolved promptly.
For you to effectively deliver online orders in Kenya, you will need to partner with delivery companies within your region. Some of the most reliable delivery companies in Kenya include Bodacorp, Sendy, and Glovo.
Be sure that the delivery company you choose can also help collect payments for Pay on Delivery customers. Most customers prefer the Pay on Delivery payment method due to trust issues. They want to ensure that they can only pay after they receive their goods.
13. How to Receive Payments For Online Sales
First Register for an Mpesa Till Number. To register for Mpesa till number, head over to their website and make an application. Choose the Mpesa Business Till Option and then select Apply Now.
Choose how you would like the payment settled by selecting the most suitable option according to your business.
Give the application requirements, applicant details, and owner details, then proceed as directed. Once the process is completed, you will get a till number from which you can receive payments.
This is the number you will give to customers to send their payments to. Then accept payments in either of the following ways
Pay on Delivery Method (Highly recommended)
Pay on Delivery (POD) is a payment method that allows the customer to only pay for the goods once they are delivered to them. Here, the buyer parcels the order and asks for the goods to be delivered at a given address.
The seller prepares the invoice and attaches it to the parcel to be delivered. Once the goods are delivered to the customer, the customer can pay either in cash or use the Till number registered above.
The use of the till number is more secure for the seller because no money will be lost, as opposed to having the cash given to the delivery guys.
That is why it is good to work with a trusted delivery company because if the customer wishes to pay via cash, it can be a viable option.
Using Payment Gateways Like iPay Africa
This is among the best and most popular online payment methods in Kenya currently. This online payment method uses Airtel, Mpesa, Visa card, Mastercard, Equity, Equitel as well as Kenswitch.
Once you create a merchant account, it becomes very simple to receive payments and you receive them instantly. You also have 100% control over your money.
Ipay Africa allows you to send and receive both local and international payments, make bulk payments, and full transactions, and receive reports.
Final Thoughts on Selling Online In Kenya
Selling online in Kenya is quite competitive, and it requires you to keep on learning as new techniques emerge each day. Once you learn the ropes of online selling in Kenya, you will enjoy selling your products online.
Keep in mind that money begets money and reinvest it back into your business when things go well. Selling online may not be easy and you will need to be patient as you learn and try different methods of doing everything from displaying your products, selling them, advertising to packaging and delivery. If you need help to start selling online, contact us.